Tulsa Health Department’s It’s All About Kids dietitians Megan and Melissa hosted a Canned Protein Demo and made black bean and salmon tostadas, orzo salad and Greek-style tuna salad. Click Here for the recipes.
To view this Facebook Live Cooking Class, click here.
Black Bean & Salmon Tostadas
• Eight 6-inch corn tortillas
• Canola oil cooking spray
• One 6-to-7-ounce can boneless, skinless Alaskan
• 1 avocado, diced
• 2 tablespoons minced pickled jalapenos, plus 2 tablespoons
pickling juice from the jar, divided
• 2 cups coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage
• 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
• One 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
• 3 tablespoons low-fat Greek yogurt
• 2 tablespoons prepared salsa
• 2 scallions, chopped
• Lime wedges (optional)
1. Position racks in upper and lower thirds of the oven; preheat to 375°F.
2. Coat tortillas on both sides with cooking spray. Place on 2 baking sheets. Bake, turning once, until light brown, 12 to 14 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, combine salmon, avocado, and jalapenos. In another bowl, combine cabbage, cilantro, and the pickling juice.
4. In a food processor, combine black beans, Greek yogurt, salsa, and scallions and process until smooth. Transfer to a small non-stick sauce pan over medium-low heat. Heat until hot, stirring every few minutes.
5. To assemble tostadas, spread each tortilla with some bean mixture and some salmon mixture and top with the cabbage salad. Serve with lime wedges, if desired.
Orzo Salad with Spicy Buttermilk Dressing
• 1 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo
• 1 cup frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed and drained
• 12 cherry tomatoes, quartered
• 3 green onions, sliced
• 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drain and rinsed
• ¼ cup low-fat buttermilk
• 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
• 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• 4 tablespoons 2% Greek yogurt
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• ½ teaspoon kosher salt
• ¼ teaspoon black pepper
• ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 peeled avocado, cut into 8 wedges
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1. Cook orzo according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and rinse; drain well. In a large bowl, place orzo, corn, cherry tomatoes, green onions, and black beans; toss.
2. In a small bowl, combine buttermilk, 2 tablespoons cilantro, and next 7 ingredients (through garlic) and stir well with a whisk. Drizzle over orzo mixture; toss. Top with avocado, garnish with remaining cilantro and parsley.
Greek Style Tuna Salad
• 1 6oz. can chunk light tuna, drained
• 5 grape tomatoes
• 2 scallions, trimmed and sliced
• 1 Tbsp. Extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
• 1 cup canned garbanzo beans, drained
• 1oz. crumbled feta
• Ground black pepper to taste
1. Combine all ingredients into a small bowl, stir gently until everything is fully incorporated.
2. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. This salad can be stored in the refrigerator for 2 days.